Calabar's chances dented after goalless encounter

Wednesday, October 09, 2019


Calabar High School's chances of advancing to the second round of the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup took a serious blow on Monday, as they were held to a goalless stalemate by Campion College in their Group F encounter at their Red Hills Road base.

Following a recent loss to Eltham High, Calabar needed to secure as many points as possible from their remaining games, but faulty shooting and a first half missed penalty left the David Lalor-coached team in a spot of bother.

They must now win all their remaining games and hope that other results go their way, if their season is to extend beyond the first round.

Calabar High are currently on seven points from six games. Norman Manley and Campion College are also on seven points each from five and eight games, respectively, while Eltham High are on 13 points from eight games.

St George's College are in pole position on 19 points from seven games.

The game began over an hour later than the expected 1:00 pm start with the home team, not surprisingly, dominating the game, but failing to call the Campion College goalkeeper Tai Hyatt into action, as they lacked the composure and penetration necessary to get that elusive goal they so badly needed.

Deshawn Patterson had a glorious opportunity to put Calabar ahead in the ninth minute when the ball fell kindly to him inside the box, but the defender booted the ball high over the crossbar.

Rushike Kelson had the chance to spare Patterson's blushes from the 12-yard spot after the ball was handled inside the area. But his tame penalty was comfortably kept out by Hyatt, three minutes before the break.

The second half was almost a mirror image of the first until the industrious Alex Spencer came to the fore for Campion College. Spencer had two chances on goal late on, the better of which crashed into the side netting on the far side, giving his teammates the impression that he had scored.

Their celebrations were short-lived after they eventually realised that the ball was on the wrong side of goal.

There were contrasting emotions at the final whistle, as some Calabar players fell to the ground in despair, while it was all high five's and smiles for their counterparts.

Lalor admitted his disappointment at the result.

“We just weren't finding the back of the net. It's really disappointing. A game like this, with us dominating it, we should have come away with all three points.

“We have to dig deep and just keep fighting, keep our focus as much as possible. The games that are ahead of us, we have to try and win them,” Lalor stated emphatically.

His counterpart Eric Rademakers was pleased with the performance of his Campion College unit.

“It's a building programme what we are working on here at Campion. When we got that first win, they got more confidence. We put a lot of work into preseason and it comes out when we go to play. On another day we could have taken all three points home,” Rademakers opined.

Both teams will meet again after bad weather forced the postponement of their previous encounter at Campion.