Ex-Fifa number two Valcke tells Swiss trial of struggling 'with no income'

Sports

Ex-Fifa number two Valcke tells Swiss trial of struggling 'with no income'

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


BELLINZONA, Switzerland (AFP) — Fifa's former S ecretary G eneral Jerome Valcke complained to a Swiss court yesterday how he had struggled “with no income” since losing his job as Sepp Blatter's right-hand man , and had sold his yacht and jewellery.

Valcke was appearing on the second day of the TV rights corruption trial in which he and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) President Nasser Al-Khelaifi are accused of corruption over the attribution of World Cup TV rights.

Taking the stand, Valcke said he had struggled “with no income” since losing his job at Fifa in 2015 and incurring a 10-year suspension from football.

“Without work, with a family, I assure you that the money burns very quickly,” he told the court, adding that he had had to sell his yacht and jewellery.

The 59-year-old Frenchman also said he had been “unable to open a bank account in Europe” since 2017.

“I have started an agriculture project in a country and I hope that the harvests will provide income in the coming months,” he explained, declining to give more detail, claiming that “two or three other attempts” to make a fresh start had been “polluted” by the intervention of Fifa.

Valcke stands accused of wanting to transfer the Middle East and North Africa rights for screening the 2026 and 2030 World Cups to beIN Media, in exchange for “unwarranted benefits” from Al-Khelaifi.

Valcke faces a second charge of TV rights corruption in association with Greek businessman Dinos Deris.

PSG president Al-Khelaifi, who is also chairman of Qatar-owned broadcaster beIN Media, is charged with inciting Valcke to commit “aggravated criminal mismanagement”.

Before Valcke took the stand, the three trial judges had rejected the defence's request to have the case thrown out.

The defence had argued the trial was “muddied” and “contaminated” by the revelation of informal meetings between former Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber and current Fifa President Gianni Infantino, prompting a separate investigation.

The judges ruled there was nothing to establish “that the evidence in the present proceedings would be impaired”.

Both Valcke and Al-Khelaifi face up to five years in jail if found guilty.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT