Foreign stars could be snubbed in scaled down IPL

Cricket

Foreign stars could be snubbed in scaled down IPL

Saturday, April 04, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


MUMBAI, India (CMC) — West Indies' Twenty20 stars could find themselves excluded from this year's Indian Premier League (IPL), if a plan by some stakeholders goes forward which would allow the lucrative tournament to come off in spite of the growing threat from the deadly novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

The IPL was scheduled to start March 29 but was delayed until April 15, following a March 14 meeting of the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI). However, India is currently under a 21-day nationwide lockdown which ends April 15, further putting in doubt the start of the tournament.

And with fears growing the campaign may have to be cancelled altogether, Rajasthan Royals Executive Chairman Ranjit Barthakur says one of the options on the table was a scaled down tournament without international stars.

“We look forward to playing the IPL this year, subject to the BCCI getting the requisite approvals,” Barthakur said.

“We are open to a relatively shorter version of the tournament, if needed, with just Indian players. We have always promoted Indian talent and there is plenty of Indian talent now. So, if need be, we will consider that as a possibility.

“However, the final call needs to be taken by the BCCI. We need to wait and watch what they decide.”

Such a move would mean that superstars like West Indies white-ball Captain Kieron Pollard and veteran opener Chris Gayle would miss out on the tournament.

Pollard represents reigning champions Mumbai Indians while Gayle, the most successful batsman in T20 history, turns out for Kings XI Punjab.

Left-handers Nicholas Pooran and Shimron Hetmyer; all-rounders Andre Russell, Keemo Paul, Dwayne Bravo and Fabian Allen; along with fast bowlers Sheldon Cottrell and Oshane Thomas, and off-spinner Sunil Narine, all campaign in the IPL.

India has not been spared the impact of the COVID-19 disease, recording 2500 cases and 72 deaths. Government last week moved for a nationwide shutdown to mitigate against any further spread.

Another franchise owner, who spoke under condition of anonymity, said he was not in favour of a scaled-down competition and prefers it to be cancelled instead.

“These are difficult times for sure, but we need to consider every aspect and then take a call accordingly,” he said.

“At this point of time, saving lives should be our priority. [This is] an extreme situation and we need to take tough calls, if need be.”


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT