Sport

Guardiola confident Man City will avoid UEFA ban over spending

Sunday, December 09, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


MANCHESTER, United Kingdom (AFP) - Pep Guardiola is confident that Manchester City will not be banned from the Champions League at the end of an ongoing Financial Fair Play (FFP) investigation after speaking with the club's senior figures.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has promised that there will be action “very soon” regarding its assessment of allegations that City broke FFP rules.

The German magazine Der Spiegel, using material purportedly obtained from the whistleblowing outlet Football Leaks, reported in November that City had set up sponsorship deals to circumvent regulations limiting how much money owners can put into a club.

City responded to that report by saying there had been an “organised and clear” attempt to damage the club's reputation, and that the e-mails that allegedly informed the accusations had been obtained illegally.

A ban from UEFA competitions, including the Champions League, is a potential punishment if City are found guilty of FFP breaches.

The club was fined 60 million euros ($68 million) and subjected to squad, wage and spending caps in a 2014 settlement agreed with UEFA following a previous breach of the rules.

Guardiola says City would accept a ban but does not believe it is likely after discussions with chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak and chief executive Ferran Soriano.

He said: “We will not be banne; no! That's what I think because I trust in my chairman, with my CEO, what they have explained to me. I trust in them.

“If it happens, because UEFA decide that, we will accept it and move forward.”

While City are being investigated off the pitch, the team is continuing to enjoy fine form on it, leading the Premier League by two points going into the weekend's fixtures.

Guardiola's side, unbeaten in their opening 15 league games, visited Chelsea on Saturday, where they faced Jorginho, a player Guardiola tried unsuccessfully to sign from Napoli in the summer.

The Italy midfielder, 26, instead followed head coach Maurizio Sarri from Naples to Stamford Bridge in July, signing a five-year contract.

It has meant that Guardiola has had to continue to rely heavily on Fernandinho in the midfield anchor role, with the Brazil international the only outfield player to have started all 15 of City's league games to date.

Guardiola was reluctant to discuss the disappointment of failing to sign Jorginho, but was happy to extol the virtues of Fernandinho, who turned 33 in May.

“He did not come to compete with Fernandinho to be part of our team — but what Fernandinho has done here, not just this season but all the years we have been together, is incredible,” he said.

“I understand completely that most of the good things we have in this moment is thanks to that guy. I am very pleased for him and pretty sure with his personality that he will continue [to perform in] that way.”

City also faced Eden Hazard, a player Guardiola described as “one of the best in the world”.

Hazard joked in an interview with Belgian media during the week that the only way City could improve was by signing him.

Guardiola, joining in with the joke, responded: “That is not going to happen.”

The City manager, asked how dangerous the Chelsea playmaker is, added: “A lot. He said that he's so good and I am agreeing with him. Switch on the TV and look at him. You realise his qualities. He is one of the best players in the world.”


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT