Melbourne, UWI take control in Senior Cup semis

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

Last year's beaten finalists Melbourne CC are well on their way to contesting another final of the Jamaica Cricket Association two-day Senior Cup competition as they took first-innings honours over St Catherine CC on day one of their semi-final clash at Chedwin Park.

After winning the toss yesterday, Melbourne CC invited St Catherine to bat first and their destructive spin attack, led by Jamaica Scorpions leg spinner Damion Jacobs, capitalised on the conditions.

Jacobs grabbed 6-25 in 11.3 overs to restrict the many-time champions to a paltry 146.

His exploits were followed by tidy half-centuries by Javell Glenn (86) and Guyanese Assad Fudadin. Their 152-run, third-wicket stand placed Melbourne firmly in charge with a 106-run lead at the close.

Fudadin, who has so far struck 10 boundaries and five sixes, was left unbeaten on 97 and will be joined by Jon-Ross Campbell on nine when play is set to resume at 10:00 am today.

Scores: St Catherine CC 146 (44.3 overs); Melbourne 252-3 (41 overs)

Earlier, apart from a solid 58 by Kennar Lewis, who was involved in a 78-run opening stand with Oraine Williams (23), the St Catherine batsmen found the going tough as Jacobs partnered by national captain Nikita Miller and Yannick Elliott, gave very little away.

Lewis struck seven fours and a six in his 95-ball knock before he was trapped in front by Jacobs, who quickly accounted for Danza Hyatt (six), Peat Salmon (five) and schoolboy Jeavor Royal (nine), while Miller had Williams caught by Trevon Griffith, which left St Catherine in a spot of bother at 133-5 at lunch.

Any hopes St Catherine had to recover were dashed shortly after the interval as Jacobs added former national captain Tamar Lambert (zero) and Gavin Wallace (29) to his list of victims, with Elliott getting in on the act by removing Carlos Brown (eight) and Martel Evans (zero).

Melbourne, the 2016 champions, started shakily when they lost Griffiths early for five, but Steven Taylor, with a snappy 52-ball 42, helped to steady the innings in a 62-run stand with Fudadin.

After leg-spinner Odean Brown had Taylor caught by Evans, Fudadin found a useful partner in Glenn and the two left-handers went about frustrating the St Catherine bowling attack in cool, overcast conditions.

The aggressive Glenn needed only 68 balls for his knock in which he hammered 13 boundaries and four sixes, before Innswood High's Royal, bowling his left-arm finger spin, had him caught in the deep by Gavin Wallace.

Elsewhere, visitors the University of the West Indies (UWI) were also in control of proceedings in the other semi-final game against Manchester CA at Manchester High School.

UWI were 111 without loss at close with Chadwick Walton unbeaten on 65 and Leonardo Fridgenette on 41, this after the entire morning session was lost due to inclement weather.

—Sherdon Cowan




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon