Merciless Portmore crush clueless MoBay 5-1

Monday, December 04, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

It was a field day for last year's beaten finalist Portmore United on match day 13, as they kicked off the second round of the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) in convincing manner with a 5-1 beating of Montego Bay United (MBU) at Spanish Town Prison Oval yesterday.

A brace each from Javon East (10th, 84th minutes) and substitute Jermie Lynch (65th, 90+2) and one from stand-in Captain Ricardo Morris (80th) extended the unbeaten run of the former champions, and also ensured that they cut into the lead of champions Arnett Gardens.

The win pushed Portmore United up to 25 points, one behind the “Junglists” who will be in action tonight against Humble Lion.

MBU, who got their goal from the penalty spot through Lesly St Fleur, have slipped to eighth position on the 12-team standings on 15 points.

When both teams met in the first round they battled out an exciting, goalless stalemate and as such, another close encounter was anticipated.

But the Shavar Thomas-coached Portmore United coming in on a five-match unbeaten run had other ideas, and when they let loose MBU were left struggling to find a response.

The contest got off to a pacy start and it took Portmore just 10 minutes to break the deadlock when East got on the end of Venton Evans' cross and fired home.

The hosts continued to pound and it took some brilliance from custodian David Swaby to deny them a second in the 15th minute, when he parried a firmly struck right-footed shot on the volley by Sulae McCalla.

That allowed MBU to get back on level terms five minutes later courtesy of St Fleur's calmly converted 12-yard kick, after Evans handled the ball inside the area.

But Portmore were back at it again soon after, and again it took some tidy glove work from Swaby to keep out Morris's powerfully hit left-footer from the top of the 18-yard box.

MBU somehow found a response, but their good build-up amounted to little as Jefroy Leslie's shot sailed wide of the mark.

And the score would remain deadlocked at the break after Keniel Kirlew's header from a well-weighted cross by Leslie was tipped over by Shaven Sean-Paul in goal for Portmore United.

That put a cap on the visitors' measly offering of the day, which aptly summed up their rollercoaster season as they failed to contend with the onslaught of the marauding Portmore United team who were very clinical in the final third.

Portmore went in front immediately on the resumption when Lynch fired home from Morris's corner to make 2-1.

Morris was later rewarded for his hard work when East played one past Swaby and into his path to make it 3-1. Morris returned the favour four minutes later, turning supplier for East to tap home.

Morris turned provider again when he picked out Lynch from a solo effort to put the icing on the cake.

— Sherdon Cowan




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon