Click here to print page

New boys Molynes United edge Mount Pleasant to continue unbeaten run

Molynes United 1 Brown (39th) Mount Pleasant 0

Observer writer

Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Molynes United Football Club's winning train continued unabated, as they registered a sixth-straight win in the 2019/20 Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) season, clipping Mount Pleasant Football Academy 1-0 at Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday.

Rayan Brown got the solitary strike in the 39th minute to ensure that the promoted team's unbeaten run remained intact, as they continued to defy the odds in the nation's top-flight league.

The Lijyasu Simms-coached Molynes United remain the only team yet to drop points, having so far accumulated a maximum of 18 points from six games to sit pretty at the top of the 12-team pile, five points ahead of last year's beaten finalist Waterhouse FC, who have played one game less. Mount Pleasant remain in eighth position on six points.

Despite the fact that Molynes United produced another gritty display, Mount Pleasant FA were left cursing their luck, as they did everything except score in what was a fairly entertaining contest.

Both teams' intentions were clear from the start, as Leon Taylor in goal for Molynes United, proved equal to Alwayne Harvey's fiercely struck 25-yard free kick.

Cardel Benbow was menacing for Mount Pleasant, but was kept at bay by a pesky Andrew Peddlar and the Molynes United defensive unit that refused to concede on the day.

At the other end, Molynes United's midfielder Fakibi Farquharson was brought down inside the danger area on a rare counter-attack, but their appeal for penalty was ignored by referee Steffon Dewar.

However, Molynes United's frown turned to cheers moments later when Brown latched on to a pass from Farquharson and unleashed a strike that deflected into the bottom right corner of the goal, leaving custodian Joseph Vargas a mere spectator in the Mount Pleasant goal.

The visitors fought valiantly to get back on level terms, but Kesslan Hall's effort from 12 yards came back off the right upright on the stroke of half time.

That virtually summed up the day for the St Ann-situated team, as their press for the elusive equaliser proved futile, though they had Molynes United on the back foot for most of the second half.

And when Taylor in goal for Molynes United produced a blinding save to deny Kemar Beckford from close range late in the game, it spelt the writing on the wall for Paul “Tegat” Davis's Mount Pleasant team.