Click here to print page

Portmore whip 10-man Waterhouse in RSPL

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Waterhouse FC 0

Portmore United 5

E Grandison (58th, 77th)

J East (82nd, 86th)

R Morris (71st)


Portmore United FC whipped 10-man Waterhouse FC 5-0 at Drewsland Stadium on Sunday to stay unbeaten in the 2017-18 Red Stripe Premier League.

Double strikes from skipper Ewan Grandison, in minutes 58th and 77th, and second-half substitute Jovan East (82nd and 86th), along with another goal from Ricardo Morris (71st) handed Portmore their third win of the season. They hold sole leadership in the league standing with 10 points.

Portmore started brightly, but Waterhouse's Jeffrey Henry, skipper Nicholi Finlayson, and the diminutive Shawn McKoy held off the hard-running visitors, with Grandison, Morris and Henrico Rickets taking turns at the Waterhouse goal.

At the other end Rodico Wellington, Andre Dawson and Tremaine Stewart threatened, with Wellington getting the best chances.

With the expulsion of Henry early in the second half, Waterhouse began to look disorganised in defence and within eight minutes Portmore struck, with Grandison beating goalkeeper Richard McCallum with a sharp shot to his left.

That was the opening Portmore wanted and from there on it became a free-for-all as Morris popped in to beat McCallum for Portmore's second. Six minutes later skipper Grandison was at it again to widen the margin.

East notched his team's fourth after he carried the ball from the half-line unmolested to finish with a low shot.

Then minutes before full time, East scored his second of the afternoon to welcome McCallum back from retirement,

Portmore Head Coach Shavar Thomas was more than pleased with the victory.

“This victory, even the size of it was not surprising. Today we found the conditions suitable and reaped the harvest to show that there is reward for effort,” Thomas added.

His opposing number Waterhouse Head Coach Glendon “Admiral” Bailey noted a disruption in the camp earlier in the day after an incident between a player and a spectator that may have affected the team.

“And then going down to 10 players against a quality team as Portmore hampered our progress as we were in the game up to the time. After this I thought we played with a lot of indiscipline — being down one man we still thought of going forward all at once.

“There is nothing wrong with going forward, but [it] is how we go forward,” Bailey pointed.

—Hurbun Williams



Waterhouse — Richard McCallum, Nicholi Finlayson, Jeffrey Henry, Samar Rowe (Tyrone Harrison 78th), Shawn McKoy, Tremaine Stewart, Andre Dawson, Rodico Wellington (Mark Miller 56th), Dasha Satchwell, Cristhian Hereira, Rickardo Harriot (Dean Andre Dawson 19th)

Subs not used: Diego Haughton, Deanardo Thomas, Rodari Edwards, Shamari Dyer

Booked: Henry (ejected—50th), Finlayson (70th)

Portmore United — Shave Sean-Paul, Domano Soloman, Dicoy Williams, Andre Evans, Venton Edwards (Roshane Sharpe 85th), Ewan Grandison, Chevauny Willis, Henrico Ricketts, Maalique Foster (Jermie Lynch 75th), Ricardo Morris, Rondee Smith (Jovan East 73rd)

Subs not used: Kemar Foster, Damian Binns, Kemar Phillpott, Richard Coates

Booked: Williams (67th)

Referee: Kevin Morrison

Assistant Referees: Richard Washington, Melvin Reid

Fourth Official: David Derron

Match commissioner: Anthony Cooke