Six straight!

St George's College make it six straight

Observer writer

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

Nathaniel Campbell scored a goal in each half to carry St George's College to a well-earned 2-1 win against a resolute Kingston Technical High in the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/FLOW Manning Cup sixth-round contest at Winchester Park yesterday.

St George's College, who remain undefeated in six games, started like a house on fire and within four minutes of the kick-off they led after Akeem Robotham found Campbell unmarked inside the six-yard box and he made good the opportunity to put St George's College ahead.

Kingston Technical then pressured their hosts with good moves to get back into the game. Playing some probing, attacking football, Kennario Henry finished off a decent move which started with Matthew Powell, who relayed to Tyrone Williams. Henry then collected a pass from Williams to bring the teams level after 15 minutes to the rapturous delight of the visitors and their followers.

But that was as far they got, as 30 minutes from time Campbell doubled his tally to record win number six for St George's College.

Earlier, the equaliser had egged on Kingston Technical. It was St George's College, though, playing with great all-round authority, who looked the better team and the one more likely to score as they continued with their probing play.

Kingston Technical were themselves in no mood to settle for a draw and started to lay plans to increase their tally. Forced to react to the new wave of purpose from their visitors, St George's College were up to the challenge, but Kingston Technical kept their hosts' attackers at arms length, shutting them out with good defensive play that nullified a number of good and wholesome attacking moves.

Most of the action was, however, confined to the Kingston Technical half, but whenever they got the ball rolling in their favour they looked dangerous on the attack. The St George's College's defenders, however, individually outmatched their opponents' attackers and that weakened their resolve to a large extent.

When the teams turned around for the second session it was more of the first half, but with St George's College kicking down the slope they looked quite dangerous. Getting the ball across the opponents' goal line was a struggle until a little mix-up of sorts between the goalkeeper and his defenders gave Campbell, who was on spot, a second bite of the cherry, and he duly guided the ball across the goal line to keep St George's College undefeated at the top of Group D with 18 points. Meanwhile, Kingston Technical remain joint fourth on six points with Denham Town.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon