STETHS fightback sees them through

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

CATHERINE HALL. St James — St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) came from a goal down to beat Charlie Smith High 2-1 at the Montego Bay Sports Complex yesterday and qualify for the semi-finals of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association Champions Cup all-island knockout.

Second-half goals from goalkeeper Devonte Clarke and substitute Adam Griffiths cancelled out a first-minute goal from Charlie Smith's Kemoy Bailey to push STETHS to their fourth semi-finals where they will face Jamaica College.

STETHS Coach Omar Wedderburn told the Jamaica Observer that he was not worried, even after going behind so early.

“We were confident and as the game went on we got more confident and knew that as long as we kept the ball on the round and moved it around, we would get back into the game,” he said.

Charlie Smith's Eugene Barnes was disappointed and put the blame on match officials who he declared “decided the game today”.

Charlie Smith grabbed the early lead and could have been up 2-0 in the first six minutes as they pushed STETHS back deep into their own defensive area.

Bailey sent them into the lead after about 30 seconds into the game when he latched onto to a poor clearance and powered it back into the goal.

Renaldo Cephas had created the chance when he got past STETHS's Tyriel Williams on the right wing and his cross was partially cleared.

Bailey just missed a second goal when he raced down the left wing and got by two STETHS defenders, but his shot, which sailed past goalkeeper Clarke hit the inside of the far-right post and rebounded into play.

STETHS eventually took over the game and despite, several good build-ups, had to wait until the second half to get back on level terms.

A Charlie Smith defender inadvertently handled the ball in his own area and referee Andre Farquharson awarded a penalty kick which Clarke, powered past the Charlie Smith goalkeeper Tuishane Edwards in the 56th minute.

STETHS completed the comeback in the 65th minute when Griffiths, who had replaced Sabian Pusey in the 57th minute, powered his way down the right wing and beat Edwards and a defender at their near left post.

— Paul Reid

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon