CRICKET legends Pakistan will, today, celebrate their 65th year of Independence from mother country Britain. Today we look at some interesting facts about their people and culture.
1. Pakistan has the second largest Muslim population in the world. It is second to Indonesia.
2. More than 60 languages are spoken in Pakistan. However, English is the official language of Pakistan and is used in government.
3. The official and national sport of Pakistan is field hockey. Cricket, however, is the most popular sport. The national side won the ICC World Cup in 1992.
4. Pakistan is the sixth most populous country in the world.
5. Pakistan holds the record of planting 5,41,176 trees in a single day. This record was previously held by India when they planted 4,47,874 trees. It took 300 Pakistani volunteer to plant these trees on the Indus river belt.
6. The youngest cricket test player to date came from Pakistan. Hasan Raza made his debut, at age 14, against Zimbabwe at Faisalabad, Pakistan on October 24, 1996.
7. The heaviest weight lifted using only the ear is 51.7 kg (113 lb 15 oz) by Zafar Gill from Pakistan, who lifted gym weights hanging from a clamp attached to his right ear and held the weight for seven seconds on May 26, 2004.
8. Pakistan is the largest producer of salt in the world.
9. Pakistan became an Islamic republic in 1956 and in 1971, there was a civil war in East Pakistan that led to the creation of Bangladesh.
10. Pakistan has the sixth largest military force in the world.
— Compiled by Melaine Warren