Western News

$1m to eradicate Hanover rats

Anthony Lewis

Thursday, September 27, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!


LUCEA, Hanover — The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has allocated $1million to the Hanover Parish Council to implement a rodent control programme in the parish.

The funds were allocated last week, following a resolution passed by the council in July for the Local Government Ministry to provide some $3.7 million to assist in minimising what the council said at that time, was "an extreme case" of rodent infestation in the parish.

But pointing out that the $1-million allocation was grossly inadequate to implement an effective rodent control programme, Superintendent of the Roads and Works Department at the council, Alexander Mann, said the local body will have to discuss with the Hanover Health Department how best to implement the programme, with such limited funds.

"Because the amount has been reduced from what we had asked for, we have to try and work out the best way we can to utilise the funds," Mann explained.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT