Lawyer adopts wait-and-see approach
MONTEGO BAY, St James - THE attorney representing the two brothers charged in the brutal rape of five females, including two teenagers and an eightyear-old girl in Irwin Point, St James last September has described the situation as “a waiting game” after the men were further remanded in police custody recently.
Justice Evan Brown ruled in the Western Regional Gun Court that the two men should be remanded until January 31, after DNA results that were expected were not ready, it was heard.
The men had late last year volunteered for DNA samples to be taken in an effort to prove their innocence, but the results were not ready when the duo appeared in Court recently.
Attorney Lambert Johnson later told the Observer West that from now on, it would be “a waiting game”.
Johnson said, however, that the prosecution had assured that the results will be ready by mid-January “so we are hoping that by the next court hearing we should be able to proceed”.
Meanwhile, the accused men have been offered $200,000 bail on another charge of wounding.
They have been jointly charged with burglary, robbery with aggravation, illegal possession of firearm, abduction, and assault at common law, after they were pointed out during an ID parade. These are in addition to the sexual assault charges including rape, buggery, sexual touching, and grievous sexual assaults.
On September 17, an armed man reportedly gained access to the house where the women were and held onto one of the family members by her hair through a window, and threatened to kill her if his accomplice was not allowed inside. She reluctantly complied.
It was heard that after the two gained entry, they started to ransack the rooms and demanded that the occupants hand over their cellular phones, money and other valuables, including laptop computers. The men then tied them up and took them, one at a time, to a nearby abandoned lot and raped them.