Big 45 per cent reduction in road deaths, fatal crashes says RSU
The Road Safety Unit (RSU) is reporting a big 45 per cent reduction in road fatalities and fatal crashes since the start of the year.
According to the RSU, which is located in the Island Traffic Authority, 12 people were killed in eleven fatal crashes up to Friday, January 19. This means both fatalities and fatal crashes are seeing a 45 per cent decline when compared to the corresponding period in 2023.
The RSU said fatalities for 2024 are projected to decrease by two per cent when compared with 2023 when a total of 425 people were killed in 384 fatal crashes.
As at January 19, motorcyclists accounted for 50 per cent of the road users killed since the start of the year; pedestrians accounted for 25 per cent; private motor vehicle drivers accounted for 17 per cent; and private motor vehicle passengers accounted for eight per cent.
Vulnerable road users (pedestrians, pedalcyclists, motorcyclists and pillion riders) account for 75 per cent of the road users killed since January 1. Males make up 83 per cent of all victims with females accounting for the remaining 17 per cent.