NOAA predicts above-normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

WASHINGTON, DC, United States (CMC) — The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Tuesday predicted an above average Atlantic hurricane season this year, making it the seventh-consecutive above-average hurricane season.

The Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1 and runs until November 30, and forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predict a 65 per cent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 per cent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 per cent chance of a below-normal season.

For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms with winds of 39 miles per hour (mph) or higher of which six to 10 could become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher — including three to six major hurricanes with categories of 3, 4 or 5 with winds of 111 mph or higher.

“Early preparation and understanding your risk is key to being hurricane-resilient and climate-ready,” said Secretary of Commerce Gina M Raimondo.

“Throughout the hurricane season, NOAA experts will work around the clock to provide early and accurate forecasts and warnings that communities in the path of storms can depend on to stay informed.”

NOAA said that the increased activity anticipated this hurricane season is attributed to several climate factors, including the ongoing La Niña that is likely to persist throughout the hurricane season, warmer-than-average sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, weaker tropical Atlantic trade winds, and an enhanced West African monsoon.

It said an enhanced West African monsoon supports stronger African easterly waves, which seed many of the strongest and longest-lived hurricanes during most seasons. The way in which climate change impacts the strength and frequency of tropical cyclones is a continuous area of study for NOAA scientists.

“As we reflect on another potentially busy hurricane season, past storms, such as Superstorm Sandy which devastated the New York metro area 10 years ago, remind us that the impact of one storm can be felt for years,” said NOAA administrator Dr Rick Spinrad.

“Since Sandy, NOAA’s forecasting accuracy has continued to improve, allowing us to better predict the impacts of major hurricanes to lives and livelihoods.”

NOAA said to improve the understanding and prediction of how hurricanes intensify, its Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Lab and Pacific Marine Environmental Lab will operate five Saildrone uncrewed surface vehicles during the peak of the 2022 hurricane season and coordinate for the first time with uncrewed ocean gliders, small aircraft drone systems, and NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft to measure the ocean, atmosphere and areas where they meet.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login

HOUSE RULES

  1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
  2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
  3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
  4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
  5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
  6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
  7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy