BMW Motorsport GmbH was formed in 1972 to facilitate the company's racing efforts. Six years later the M1 was revealed at the Paris Auto Show. This was the first official M-badged car completely built by them and first to be sold to the public.
That changed as of 2022. After 50 years of M, the performance arm of BMW has returned to its individualist origins with the XM and Jamaica will be the first island in the Caribbean to witness this shift in the remit of BMW M.
"Bringing the BMW XM to Jamaica is significant for us as at ATL Autobahn because it solidifies our place as a master dealer for the Caribbean and it shows our willingness to commit to the vision of the BMW Group, specifically the BMW M division. Our market has also shown a growing appetite for models of this calibre and it is also BMW's first full M only model since the M1," Sloane Jackson, head of business — ATL Autobahn, told the Jamaica Observer's weekly Auto magazine.
As the M1 was of its day, a low slung super car pushing the boundaries between track and street performance, the XM is of the future, a plug-in hybrid sport utility vehicle containing performance unthinkable in 1978.
Powering the 2023 XM is a twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 engine paired with a 144kW electric motor connected to a 25.7 kWh battery. The total combined output is rated at 644bhp and 590lb/ft of torque. So, 60mph can be hit in 4.1 seconds. On the other side of the coin, the XM can deliver an estimated 30 miles of electric-only range, something Jackson is keen to champion.
"We are proud to offer each customer who purchases any form of electric vehicle (EV) from ATL Autobahn an at-home charging unit as well as an installation package to enhance the charging convenience. We also invested heavily in the tooling and training of our facilities and service team to ensure that as the production of MHEVs, PHEVs and EVs increase, we are uniquely positioned to offer the same high level care to those models as we do to our petrol units. We are also working with our local charging providers to ensure that these customers have the benefit of more charging stations to ensure greater usability of the product without the range anxiety. And of course, we offer complimentary charging on-site to anyone who owns an EV at our Kingston Showroom, which is on the same grounds as the AC Hotel," he said.
Jackson expects the first units of this historic vehicle for the M brand to arrive on the island in April, at which point can place their orders.
"Customers can special order their very own unit. That is one benefit of purchasing a BMW — you get the opportunity to tailor the car specifically to your needs. It takes approximately four to five months for the unit to go from order to delivery."
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.