The Montego Bay, St James-based logistics and stevedoring company, Cargo Handlers Limited, has seen its profits rising in 2021 even though its stevedoring business was forced to close operations.
Net profit for the year ended September 30, 2021, increased to $159.60 million, up from $107.64 million in 2020. For the September quarter alone, net profit increased to $41.90 million relative to $15.20 million in the previous corresponding quarter.
At the same time, the company posted revenues of $337.31 million up 19% from the $283.46 million booked in 2020.
The company said it made no money from stevedoring activities during the recently concluded financial year. “With the disappearance of cruise ships to Jamaica, there was no revenue or cost during the year from stevedoring activities specifically relating to cruise ships. Additionally, the company agreed with its related party, Bulk Liquid Carriers Petroleum Transport Limited, to suspend providing management services until Bulk's operations resume to an acceptable level,” the management wrote in notes accompanying the financials.
In addition, there was an increase in the net profit results at year-end due in part to the company's investment in Buying House Cement Limited.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.