IN the fast-paced realm of technology, networking isn't just a buzzword; it's an essential skill that can unlock countless opportunities. For women in tech, mastering this art is pivotal for personal and professional growth. With BizTech 2023, a premier technology conference organised by the Jamaica Technology and Digital Alliance (JTDA), just around the corner, there's no better time to equip yourself with the tools to thrive in this ever-changing industry and fully capitalise on in-person conferences.
"Inspired by the vibrant innovation tapestry at Collision 2023 in Toronto, our JTDA team envisions a future where technology transcends boundaries and sectors. Much like Collision united brilliant minds from 118 countries and diverse fields such as fashion, media, technology, finance, and hospitality, our goal is to create an equally inclusive ecosystem. We believe technology is a force that can revolutionise every sector, not confined to a single industry. With BizTech 2023, we aim to inspire people from varied fields, showcasing the limitless possibilities tech offers. This hybrid conference will foster collaboration, sparking imagination and paving the way for a future where innovation knows no bounds," said Alexia Beckford, programme director, JTDA.
Beckford, with her rich experience, shares her top five tips for maximising tech conferences:
1. Prepare elevator pitches: Time is precious; be ready with a concise, engaging pitch that clearly outlines your skills and objectives. This clarity helps potential collaborators understand how they can work with you effectively.
2. Be an active listener: Networking isn't just about talking; it's about meaningful conversations. Listen actively, ask open-ended questions, and engage with others' experiences and insights.
3. Leverage social media: In the digital age, social media is a potent networking tool. Engage with event-specific hashtags and follow official pages. Pre-event interactions can set the stage for fruitful face-to-face conversations.
4. Participate in breakout workshops and specialised sessions: Dive into key topics and engage with experts. Active participation enhances your knowledge and builds valuable connections. Don't hesitate to ask questions and seek insights.
5. Exchange contact information: Don't shy away from exchanging business cards or contact details. Follow up with a polite e-mail or LinkedIn message post-event, expressing your pleasure at meeting and exploring collaboration possibilities. Networking doesn't end with the event; it's an ongoing process.
BizTech 2023 promises a dynamic environment where women in tech can thrive, learn, and connect. Organised by JTDA, attendees can anticipate insightful panel discussions, interactive workshops, and unparalleled networking opportunities. Key themes explored this year include AI-powered digital transformation, emerging trends in e-commerce and financial technology, the critical landscape of data protection & cybersecurity, the spirit of tech entrepreneurship, and the imperative of diversity and inclusion in the technology sector.