One of Kingston's most hotly anticipated restaurant openings happens this Saturday when Buzo Osteria Italiana welcomes its first guests. When Thursday Food first announced that Peter George's much-loved Port of Spain eatery would have a Jamaican outpost, there was a flurry of excitement among those in the know. After all, Buzo has famously and consistently enchanted diners with its outstanding Italian cuisine and eclectic wine list. The restaurant's hallmark? Passionate, honest cooking with the finest ingredients. When we visited, our favourites included Tagliatelline al nero di seppia con frutti di mare, fresh squid ink tagliatelline with calamari, shrimp, clams and mussels, fresh tomato, garlic, parsley, white wine, and extra virgin olive oil; and the Scaloppine di pollo al Marsala con funghi freschi di campo, a chicken scaloppine, with Marsala and portobello mushrooms.
We soon learned that the restaurant had taken the space on the eastern side of the Courtyard by Marriot in New Kingston, but still, weeks faded into months and then three years with nary a flame. Thankfully, the wait is over.
"I can't say how excited we are to be here finally. This idea had its genesis in 2018. Jamaica is a natural expansion for us and was always high on our priority list," says George. "The amazing progress and modernisation in Jamaica are palpable everywhere, and the market has become discerning and demanding. We are thrilled about the challenge to help fill that space."
Diners can expect to equally fall in love with the space as they are sure of the food. Aesthetic brilliance takes centre stage with views of the open kitchen, a Bond-worthy martini bar and modernist textures and hues. Those who know are already yearning for Buzo's signature range of pizzas (don't miss the eponymous Buzo Pizza, featuring mozzarella, mushrooms, arugula and truffle oil) served hot from its wood-burning oven and available for takeout. Buzo's menu is thoughtfully designed with enough depth to facilitate serial visits. Among the many stars is the supremely executed Bistecca ai ferri, ribeye steak with warm red onion compote and a flawlessly executed panna cotta.
This will be Buzo's third as its Bridgetown, Barbados location continues to be an in-demand spot for everything from high-stakes business lunches to intimate celebrations.
And so now, winningly, it's our turn. "Kingston has a legendary reputation in the world steeped in music, culture and tradition. We look forward to adding to the dining scene," says George, and to that, we say, "Welcome to Jamrock!"
Buzo Osteria Italiana
Address: 1 Park Close, Kingston 5
Opening: This Saturday, March 4, 2023
For reservations please call:
876-999-BUZO (2896) or
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.