The 3rd staging of the Menudo Trophy, a three-year-old and upward Graded Stakes/Open Allowance contest, is listed as the main attraction on the 10-race card tomorrow. The race honours Menudo, rated as one of the best long-distance runners to leave his hoofprints in the sand at Caymanas Park.
Menudo, trained in his racing career by Hall of Famer Richard Azan, holds the distinction of winning the prestigious Superstakes (10 furlongs) on four consecutive occasions (1999-2002). Little wonder then that the Menudo Trophy will be contested over 10 furlongs.
A field of five runners has been nominated to run in this year's renewal of the Menudo Trophy, which carries a total purse of $1.75 million.
The Jamaica Observer's The Supreme Racing Guide takes a look at these runners and their chances of winning.
1. D HEAD CORNERSTONE: (4 b c by Bern Identity – Soul Of The Soul) – Finished in fifth place by 11 lengths behind Is That A Fact and Blue Vinyl in the Poorlittlegirl Trophy over 7 furlongs (1,400m) on September 16. While D Head Cornerstone would appreciate this extended journey, it is going to be a very difficult task of beating his stablemate Atomica here.
2. MINIATURE MAN: (5 ch g by Northern Giant – Runaway Gal) – Has been beaten by Atomica twice this season already. Miniature Man was 7 lengths behind Atomica on July 1 over 7 ½ furlongs (1,500m), and again 5 ¼ lengths behind the filly on August 26 in the Legal Light Trophy over 9 furlongs and 25 yards (1,820m). Miniature Man could well finish second once more behind Atomica.
3. OUTBIDDER: (4 b f by Savoy Stomp - Rumbe) – Came home in seventh place by some 20 lengths in the recent Poorlittlerichgirl Trophy. Outbidder should be left behind once more.
4. CRIMSON: (7 b g by Nuclear Wayne – Sarah Barracuda) – Finished second behind Bern Notice in a $750,000 claiming bracket on September 10. Crimson steps up here to compete and will find winning an impossible task. He is more of a race filler for his stablemate Atomica.
5. ATOMICA: (4 ch f by Nuclear Wayne - Honkeytonkville) – Current Horse of the Year, who will carry the bulk of the betting. Atomica comes into this race seeking her fourth-consecutive victory and should easily achieve that task. She has been training well coming into this race and with no genuine talent in the line-up, look for another stroll in the park for Atomica.