Italian ambassador among 3 killed in attack on Congo convoyTuesday, February 23, 2021
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The Italian ambassador to Congo, an Italian Carabinieri police officer and their Congolese driver were killed yesterday when gunmen attacked a UN convoy going to visit a school in eastern Congo, the Italian Foreign Ministry and residents said.
Luca Attanasio, Italy's ambassador to the country since 2017, Carabinieri officer Vittorio Iacovacci and their driver were killed, officials said. Other members of the convoy were wounded and taken to a hospital, the World Food Programme (WFP) said.
The ambush occurred as the convoy was travelling from Goma, Congo's eastern regional capital, to visit a WFP school project in Rutshuru, the UN agency said.
The WFP said the attack occurred on a road that had been cleared previously for travel without security escorts, and it was seeking more information from local officials on the attack. Eastern Congo is home to myriad rebel groups all vying for control of the mineral-rich Central African nation that is the size of Western Europe.
The attack, a few kilometres north of Goma, was right next to Virunga National Park. North Kivu Governor Carly Nzanzu Kasivita said the UN vehicles were hijacked by the attackers and taken into the bush. The Congolese army and park guards for Virunga National Park came to help those who had been attacked, he said.
“There was an exchange of fire. The attackers fired at the bodyguard and the ambassador,” the governor said, adding that the ambassador later died from his wounds.
Attanasio, a 43-year-old career diplomat, left behind a wife and three young children.
The attack occurred in the same area where two Britons were kidnapped by unidentified gunmen in 2018, said Mambo Kaway, head of a local civil society group.
“The situation is very tense,” he added.
More than 2,000 civilians were killed last year in eastern Congo in violence by armed groups whose brutal attacks have also displaced more than 5.2 million people in what the UN calls one of the world's worst humanitarian crises.
Marie Tumba Nzenza, Congo's minister of foreign affairs, sent her condolence and promised the Italian Government that the Congolese Government would do all it could to find those behind the killings.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Premier Mario Draghi also expressed their condolence to the victims' families.
“The circumstances of this brutal attack are still unclear and no effort will be spared to shed light on what happened,” Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said.
Di Maio was flying from Brussels to Rome to meet with Draghi and to brief Italian lawmakers on the attack. The Rome prosecutors' office routinely leads investigations of Italians who are victims of crime abroad.
A special Carabinieri investigative unit was headed to Kinshasha and expected to arrive today, Italian state TV reported.
After serving in diplomatic roles in Switzerland, Morocco and Nigeria, Attanasio was assigned to the Italian Embassy in Kinshasa in September 2017.
Last October he was awarded the Nassiriya International Prize for Peace in a ceremony held in a church in southern Italy. Attanasio was cited for “having contributed to the realisation of important humanitarian projects, distinguishing himself for altruism, dedication and the spirit of service for people in difficulty”, La Repubblica newspaper reported.
It quoted Attanasio as saying that “all that which we take for granted in Italy isn't in Congo where, unfortunately, there are so many problems to resolve”.
Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login