HAMILTON, Bermuda (CMC) – Governor of this British Overseas Territory (BOT), Rena Lalgie on Friday said that cybersecurity teams in Britain are assisting Bermuda in dealing with a “major cyberattack” on Thursday that brought down government information technology (IT) services.
Premier David Burt said that the incident, which also forced a postponement of the sitting of the House of Assembly, affected not only the Bermuda government but some other regional governments as well.
“Our initial indication is it’s come from an external source, most likely from Russia, and we are working with agencies to make sure that we can identify any particular challenges and make sure that services are restored as quickly as possible,” he said.
In a statement, the governor confirmed that government IT systems were subjected to a “major cyberattack” and “that incident is ongoing.”
“Whilst there was an early indication of the geographical source of that attack, any further speculation on the possible source or motivation for the attack would be unhelpful. I can confirm that the UK’s National Cyber Security Centre and the National Crime Agency are aware of the incident, have been in contact with the Bermuda authorities, and are providing advice to support them.”
Lalgie also said Bermuda authorities are receiving support from a range of commercial partners, adding “government will advise on the ongoing impacts to services of this attack on a regular basis.”
“I am working with the Acting Premier, Cabinet and the Bermuda Police Service to support the immediate response,” she said.
The government had earlier advised the public that its telephone, internet and e-mail systems were disrupted and that all departments were affected.
The Bermuda Police Service said that its services were functioning and that emergency and non-emergency telephone numbers were operating as usual.
Premier Burt said that various teams were working with “local partners, engaging all hands, overseas partners and there may be a need to engage further” to establish the source of the incident.
He said the Minister of Tourism and the Cabinet Office, Vance Campbell, who oversees IT, would be able to provide an update “as things become clearer.
Opposition legislator, Douglas De Couto, said that it was important to know which essential services were affected and the extent of the impact.
In a statement posted on X, formerly Twitter, the One Bernuda Alliance legislator, wrote “after insisting on two irregular and so-called ‘special’ sittings of Parliament in September, when Parliament does not typically convene, the Premier is now reportedly off the island and absent from his responsibilities.