ST JAMES, Jamaica— Tandy Lamey was dragged before the St James Parish Court on assault charges Wednesday after he allegedly attacked a man who walked by him without greeting him.
It is alleged that on February 18, the complainant was walking past Lamey, who was among a group of men, when Lamey asked the complainant why he didn't hail him. During an argument the complainant reportedly told Lamey that he did not hail because they were not friends.
Both men picked up stones, and Lamey’s brother allegedly dragged the stone from the complainant’s hand, bruising it.
Lamey and his brother then allegedly choked and kicked the complainant, who was also hit in the back with an object.
When cautioned by the police, Lamey reportedly said: “A mad man dat enuh".
Responding to Parish Judge Sasha-Marie Smith-Ashley, both men admitted that they were once friends.
“Have you worked it out already or you want to talk to the mediator?” the judge asked the pair.
“We worked it out already,” the complainant said, and Lamey agreed.
“So, what is the agreement between you now, you don’t want to proceed?” the judge enquired of the parties, with the complainant indicating that he was no longer interested in pursuing the case.
Lamey then entered a not guilty plea in order for the matter to come to an end, and the prosecution offered no evidence against him.
It was not disclosed in court if Lamey's brother was also charged.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.