#Champs2023: Hydel's Bernard wins Girls' Class 3 high jump
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Hydel High’s Zavien Bernard won the Class 3 girls high jump gold medal on Thursday’s third day of the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys' and Girls' Athletics Championships at the National Stadium after clearing 1.77m.
After a slow start, as she trailed Edwin Allen’s Asia McKay who took the silver medal, Bernard proved stronger later in the competition and cleared 1.77m on her first attempt after getting over the previous two heights on her third try.
McKay, who was third last year, moved up one place with 1.71m, the same height she cleared last year, while Aaliyah Williams of Rhodes Hall took the bronze with 1.68m.
– Paul A Reid
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.