KINGSTON, Jamaica – Hydel High’s Sherika Christie leads the Girls Heptathlon going into Saturday’s second day of the event at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys’ and Girls’ Athletics Championships at the National Stadium.
Christie accumulated 2,965 points after four events on Friday – the 100m hurdles, high jump, shot put and 200m. Three more events –the long jump, javelin throw and 800m run – are scheduled for Saturday.
Glengoffe High’s Shericka Thomas was in second place with 2,838 points followed by Ishna James of Edwin Allen, 2744 points; St Jago’s Leojai Hibbert, 2717 points; and Omarion Constable of Excelsior High in fifth place with 2,582 points.
Christie was third best in the hurdles with 15.05 seconds behind James, 14.64 seconds and Thomas, 14.73 seconds, but took the lead in the high jump when she cleared 1.53m. She then recorded a mark of 10.95m in the shot put and was fastest in the 200m where she ran 25.04 seconds.
-Paul A Reid
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.