KINGSTON, Jamaica – Amidst a two-day industrial strike action by teachers over salary discrepancies and compensation review, Minister of Education Fayval Williams was seen departing the island on Friday.
Teachers on Friday voiced their discontent outside the Ministry of Finance in Kingston pointing to the discrepancies in salaries, with one educator asserting that “there will be an exodus of teachers”.
The teachers pointed out that there are many unresolved issues in the compensation review that the Government was yet to iron out.
READ: ‘Fix it Nigel’ - Disgruntled educators bash Gov’t over salary discrepancies, compensation review
In addition, a group of approximately 20 placard-bearing teachers marched from the Manchester High School to the Ministry of Education’s Region Five office in Mandeville.
READ: Placard-bearing teachers march on MOE Region 5 office in Manchester
When contacted, Director of Corporate Communication at the Ministry of Education, Colin Steer stated that the minister is able to carry out her functions wherever she is.
“That’s not something I would comment on...The Minister is a responsible person and she is able to do her work wherever she is,” he told OBSERVER ONLINE.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.