ZURICH (AP) — FIFA banned Uruguay players Fernando Muslera and José María Giménez for four games each on Friday for aggressively confronting match officials when the team was eliminated from the World Cup last month.
Veterans Edinson Cavani and Diego Godín must also serve one-game bans when Uruguay next plays, FIFA said in announcing disciplinary verdicts.
The players must all carry out community service on a soccer project and pay fines of up to 20,000 Swiss francs ($21,600), FIFA said.
Disorder flared when Uruguay failed to advance to the round of 16 in Qatar despite beating Ghana 2-0 in its final group-stage game on December 2.
The Uruguayan football federation was also fined 50,000 Swiss francs ($54,000) and must close some of its stadium for one home game.
FIFA disciplinary judges ruled the federation “was responsible for the discriminatory behaviour of its supporters as well as for the misconduct, offensive behaviour and violation of the principles of fair play” by players.
Uruguay players confronted the German referee Daniel Siebert after the final whistle at Al Janoub Stadium.
They believed Uruguay should have been awarded a penalty kick in stoppage time. One more goal scored would have sent Uruguay to the round of 16 instead of South Korea.
Cavani, Godín and Muslera were each playing at their fourth World Cup and Giménez was at this third.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.