KINGSTON, Jamaica – Jamaican Fraser McConnell finished second on the podium in the Grand Finale of the 2022/23 Nitro Rallycross Series over the weekend.
McConnell, who entered the championship in third place, 10 points behind European Rallycross Champion Andreas Bakkerud, said his second place finish came down to the wire, adding that it is a step in the right direction for his career.
“It’s a really great season. Nitro 2022/23 had a lot on the table with people racing in the series such as Travis Pastrana, who is one of my childhood heroes...,” he said.
“Going into the weekend, it was very close within the top five and the first day saw Oliver Eriksson fall out of contention. Second day also saw me and Travis fall out of contention, but the fight for third and second place was still on and going into the last day, me and Travis were separated by almost nothing. It came down to the last race of the season. We were able to get that done and finish in front of Travis in the final with a second place on the podium. So, that was a nice way to top off the season,” McConnell added.
Dubbed the Jamaican flyer, McConnell added that he is very happy with the progress he has made in his career and that he is proud of his development as a rallycross driver.
“It’s showing that I can compete and beat the best in the world and we’re already in talks to do another season of Nitro, which starts in June. But it’s really showing that we have what it takes, and especially with the Lewis contract, which is a big step in my career and the sky's the limit,” said McConnell
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.