WOLVERHAMPTON, England (AP) — Liverpool's troubles continued after losing to Wolverhampton 3-0 in the English Premier League on Saturday.
A season after being in the hunt for an unprecedented quadruple of trophies, Liverpool looks in danger of finishing mid-table in the league or perhaps worse.
The team has lost seven times in the league and its hopes of salvaging the campaign by qualifying for the Champions League look increasingly unlikely.
Joel Matip's own goal, Craig Dawson's debut strike, and Ruben Neves' effort sealed the win for Wolverhampton.
Wolves were plunged into the relegation zone by Everton's upset of Arsenal hours earlier, but responded impressively by scoring three goals or more in a game for the first time in 11 months.
Liverpool was left in 10th after a third straight away loss in the league.
Defender Matip put the ball into his own net after five minutes and Dawson struck from close range in the 12th. Neves slotted in from six metres to complete the scoring in the 71st.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.