A well-known Jamaica-based photographer and graphic designer is seeking financial assistance in his fight against brain aneurysms which have left him hospitalised.
Gary ‘BenGee’ Groeper is in need of emergency surgery and has set up a GoFundMe account to accept donations.
Originally from Germany, Groeper has made Jamaica his home the last 20 years, working with various reggae and dancehall music acts including veterans Beenie Man and Sizzla Kalonji, and newer artistes such as Jashii.
The GoFundMe account set up for Groeper has so far raised £19, 770 , nearly half of the targeted £40,000. The funds, according to the organiser, will aid in covering his hospital stay, surgery, post-surgery recovery, childcare among other expenses.
Groeper, who is currently hospitalised at the Andrews Memorial Hospital, expressed his appreciation for the donations as he remains overwhelmed with the amount of donations and support.
“I see the donations coming in and I’m totally overwhelmed. I got so many calls, messages, it’s unbelievable,” he said
“It’s still a long way to go, I still have to do the surgery but what happened in the last 24 hours is totally overwhelming. I have to say thanks to everybody who helped,” Groeper added.
Groeper, who is a father to a 12-year-old son, lost his wife to cancer a few years ago.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.