KINGSTON, Jamaica— Police in the Kingston Western Division seized two firearms and 46 rounds of ammunition on Sunday during police/military operations in the area, following reports of a fatal shooting on Lincoln Crescent, a community within the Division.
It is reported that about 2:30 pm, 19-year-old labourer Shaheem Williams, otherwise called ‘Shiaz’, was among a group of men sitting inside a yard having drinks. They were reportedly pounced upon by armed men, who opened gunfire hitting Williams and another man.
The police were summoned and the injured men taken to hospital. Williams was pronounced dead and the other man admitted for care. His condition is considered serious.
As a result, the police launched an operation within the Division and were on patrol in the area about 5:15 pm, while a funeral was being held. A woman was seen walking along the roadway with a bag sling around her neck. Police said she was accosted at the intersection of Dee Cee Avenue and Chang Avenue in Tivoli Gardens, Kingston 12, where she was searched and a Stoeger Cougar pistol along with 41 rounds of ammunition were reportedly found inside the bag.
She was subsequently arrested and is awaiting formal proceedings.
In addition to this, a snap raid of a premises by members of the Kingston West and St Catherine North Police Divisions on Lincoln Crescent, between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm resulted in the seizure of a Taurus pistol with five 9mm cartridges. It was reportedly found in a flower pot to the rear of the premises.
No arrest was made in connection with the find, the police said.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.