MANCHESTER, Jamaica — A security guard was beaten by gunmen during an attempted robbery at a National Commercial Bank (NCB) automated teller machine (ATM) at Bank House Mall in Mandeville on Tuesday morning.
A police source confirmed that the incident happened about 2:00 am.
The source said the guard, who was on duty, was physically assaulted and had to be taken to hospital for treatment after the gunmen attacked him.
The gunmen reportedly vandalised the ATM but were unsuccessful in removing cash from it.
The Manchester police have increased their patrols close to ATMs and money couriers.
“We have heightened our presence where [criminals] might target,” said the source.
This follows Sunday’s brazen attack in Portmore, St Catherine on Beryllium couriers.
Three Beryllium security guards were shot while servicing an automated teller machine at Scotiabank in Braeton Parkway.
READ: Security guards shot in ATM robbery in Portmore; cops recover vehicles
Cleon March, the acting assistant commissioner of police in charge of crime, told OBSERVER ONLINE that the robbers in Sunday's daring heist of a Beryllium truck absconded with $23.2 million.
He also revealed that the cops are pursuing several excellent leads to apprehend the perpetrators and that "a breakthrough is imminent".
READ: ‘Breakthrough imminent’ in Beryllium robbery case, says cop
- Kasey Williams
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.