ST JAMES, Jamaica – Mayor of Montego Bay, Councillor Leeroy Williams, is expressing sadness at the passing of former Councillor Calvin Ellison.
Ellison, who was Councillor for the Canterbury Division, now Montego Bay South, passed away on Thursday, March 9, 2023.
According to Mayor Williams, Ellison’s death has saddened him personally, as both he and the former councillor were elected to represent their respective Divisions at the same time in 2003.
“Ellison and I started out as councillors in 2003; he was a proper man and a very dedicated councillor. He had his constituents at heart, and supported them on all occasions where possible,” said Mayor Williams.
“When he was elected Councillor for the Canterbury Division, he was very enthusiastic and worked towards those developments that would impact his constituents positively. He shared the same concern for the St James Municipal Corporation as an organisation, and was therefore very committed to those activities that he believed would ensure that the Municipal Corporation progressed," added Mayor Williams.
He expressed condolences on behalf of the political directorate and administrative staff of the St James Municipal Corporation.
"He is remembered as a kind and thoughtful individual, who was committed to serving the people he represented,” Williams said.
Deputy Mayor of Montego Bay, Councillor Richard Vernon, who presently represents the Montego Bay South Division, remembers the former councillor as one who “never stopped serving the people.”
“Calvin Ellison was a dedicated, jovial and patriotic son of the Montego Bay soil. During his time as Councillor for the Canterbury Division between 2003 and 2007, he developed a good rapport with the people and contributed to several community projects. He was a loyal and committed member of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and the St James Central team. He will be missed, however, never forgotten,” said Vernon.
Following his term as councillor, Ellison continued to serve the people of the downtown Montego Bay area through outreach programmes and as an ardent volunteer.
The funeral service for Ellison will be held at the Glendevon Seventh-day Adventist Church, Sun Valley Road, Montego Bay on Sunday, April 16, 2023, beginning at 11:00 am. Interment follows at Canaan Cemetery in Dumfries, St James.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.