Matthew Hyde, the University of the West Indies student who is alleged to have tortured his ex-girlfriend in his dorm room, had his bail hearing postponed until March 27.
Hyde, 20, was brought to the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court on Wednesday to answer to charges of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm, false imprisonment, and malicious communication.
His bail application was postponed as his attorney Peter Champagnie, KC, was unable to appear in court due to another proceeding at the Home Circuit Court.
The court was told this by Samoi Campbell, Hyde's other attorney.
On March 9, Hyde was remanded as the court awaited the preparation of his antecedents. His case file is also incomplete.
Additionally, on March 17, the matter was postponed since Champagnie was unable to make the bail application as he had "urgent matters to attend to."
The court was also told that the defence team will be given partial disclosure today.
Reports are that between Monday, February 6, and Thursday, February 9, Hyde allegedly held his ex-girlfriend against her will in his room on a block of the George Alleyne Hall on the UWI, Mona campus where he repeatedly beat her and burned her all over her body with a clothes iron.
READ: UWI student accused of torturing ex-girlfriend scheduled to appear in court
She was subsequently rescued and a report was made to the police.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.