Dancehall artiste Tommy Lee Sparta received a warm welcome from supporters as he was released from prison Thursday after serving just over two years of a three-year sentence for a gun conviction.
A video shows the ‘Blessings’ singer leaving the Horizon Remand Centre in Kingston about 11 in the morning.
READ: Tommy Lee Sparta released from prison
Wearing a white t-shirt, khaki jeans and a face covering, the deejay was in an upbeat mood upon being freed and was greeted with celebratory shouts of “One Sparta!” and hugs from family and friends outside the facility.
Tommy Lee was released nine months early for good behaviour, a source close to the artiste told OBSERVER ONLINE.
In March 2021, the artiste was sentenced to three years in prison after being convicted for illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.
READ: Tommy Lee Sparta sentenced to 3 years in prison
The entertainer had been arrested on December 14, 2020 after a vehicle in which he was travelling was intercepted by members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force’s Specialised Operations, and a 9mm Glock pistol found in his possession during a search.
Start your day off right. Sign up for the Observer's free Morning Bites newsletter to stay up-to-date with the news.
He pleaded guilty to the charges.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.