St Catherine vaccination blitz coming soon, says TuftonWednesday, June 09, 2021
ST CATHERINE, Jamaica — Health Minister Christopher Tufton was today tight-lipped about why the June 5 second dose vaccination blitz for this parish had been cancelled, but promised the wait would not be long.
“The vaccination blitz for the parish will be soon. Currently we are planning and strategically having the blitz at different periods of time to deal with the numbers that would need their second dose,” he said.
He was speaking with the OBSERVER ONLINE at the opening ceremony of the Dr Kenneth Baugh Health Centre.
On June 4 the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) announced the postponement of a vaccination blitz for the parish that would have seen second doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine done on June 5 to 8. Those whose dates have been pushed back will be contacted with updates, SERHA added.
Health authorities, however, noted that first dose appointments are still available for individuals in the priority group which includes Jamaicans 50 years and older, healthcare workers, members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, the Jamaica Defence Force, the Jamaica Fire Brigade, along with staff from the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, the Jamaica Customs Agency and the Department of Correctional Services.
On May 30, courtesy of the COVAX Facility, 55,200 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine arrived on the island, earmarked for those who had already received their first jabs, as well as first timers.
Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login