KINGSTON, Jamaica — Minister of Education, Ronald Thwaites, this afternoon named 18 rural primary schools and all-age schools that will be closed in September.
The minister said that students from these schools have been registered at other schools.
The 18 schools are: Bowden Hill Primary and Mount James All Age in West Rural St Andrew; Tower Hill and Clifton Primary in East Rural St Andrew; Black Hill All Age and Belvedere Primary, Western Portland; Preston Hill and Rose Bank Primary, Central St Mary, and Pear Tree River Primary in Eastern St Thomas; Alps Primary and Infant, Southern Trelawny; Brittonvale, Clydesdale, Jefferyville and Watsonville Primary Schools, South Eastern St Ann; Hillsbrook, Hanover Eastern; Auchtembeddie Primary and Junior High, Manchester North Western, and Hopeton Primary, St Elizabeth South Eastern; as well as Hartlands Primary, St Catherine Central.
Thwaites said that in order to ensure a smooth transition, the ministry's regional staff will work closely with the staff of the receiving schools.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.