KINGSTON, Jamaica – An upheaval in the Denham Town area of West Kingston has forced authorities to temporarily close the community's health centre.
The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) announced a short while ago that the Denham Town Health Centre would be closed until further notice.
Dr Andrei Cooke, SERHA Board Chairman explained that the decision was taken to close the health centre in light of the violence affecting the community.
“We have been informed that the area is now tense and so we are concerned about the safety of the staff and the patients that visit the health centre and so we have closed that facility temporarily until the conditions improve,” Dr Cooke explained.
“Residents are encouraged to utilise the Edgerton Chin Loy and Comprehensive Health Centres in the interim. The staff from the Denham Town Health Centre has been redeployed to these facilities to assist with the additional patient load,” he added.
The public will be notified as soon as the health centre is reopened.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.