ST ELIZABETH, Jamaica — Residents in Barbary Hall here are currently staging several roadblocks on the Black River main road and other thoroughfare following the death on Wednesday of a prominent member of the community.
The residents have used trees and other debris to block the road as they claim that 48-year-old Victor Vassall was killed by the police.
However, the police are reporting Vassall had committed suicide.
The death is reportedly being investigated by the police and the Independent Commission of Investigation (INDECOM).
Reports reaching OBSERVER ONLINE are that Vassall, a reputed drug dealer who had been on the police's radar for years, was found in his vehicle in Junction in the parish. He is said to be a fisherman.
Meanwhile, the police are appealing to residents to desist from blocking the roads or committing any act of public disorder as the matter is being investigated.
More information will be provided as soon as it becomes available.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.