Accused baby thief to be charged todayTuesday, February 12, 2019
THE woman who was taken into custody last week when she turned up at the Registrar General's Department in Twickenham Park, St Catherine to register a baby, which was subsequently discovered to be stolen, will be charged today.
Her identity has not yet been released.
The police said she was pointed out as the baby's abductor in an identification parade yesterday.
The baby was a day old when stolen from the mother at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) in Kingston on January 9.
At the time, the 41-year-old mother Suzzett Whyte told the Jamaica Observer that approximately 5:00 am she was awakened after having a heavy flow of lochia. Not wanting to wake the mother who was immediately beside her, she said she trusted a woman clad in a denim skirt and a multi-coloured top who had been standing and looking through the window and who offered to watch her baby while she went to the bathroom.
However, Whyte said that when she returned from her shower, only the baby's hat was left on the bed.
Last Tuesday, officials at the Registrar General's Department (RGD) in Twickenham Park, St Catherine, detained a woman who had gone there with a baby with the intention of having the infant registered.
That same day, Whyte and her common-law husband, Sinclair Hutton, were asked by the Kingston Western Police to do a DNA test to determine whether or not the baby taken from the woman was theirs. The test was conducted the following day.
Last Thursday, a DNA test confirmed that the baby boy was the same child who was taken from the VJH last month. The one-month-old boy was reunited with his family on Friday.
— Racquel Porter