MANDEVILLE, Manchester — The autopsy on the body of 62-year-old Chieftin Campbell, who died after being mobbed in Mandeville on May 6, was postponed on Wednesday.
Attorney Oswest Senior Smith told the Jamaica Observer that the autopsy is being considered for rescheduling on Saturday.
He added that he was unaware as to the reason for the postponement.
Superintendent Lloyd Darby on May 12 said two people had so far been identified on the nation’s JamaicaEye surveillance system as being involved in the mob killing.
However, efforts to get an update from the police were unsuccessful up to midafternoon Wednesday as calls and messages sent to Superintendent Darby went unanswered.
He had reiterated his appeal on May 12 for people who witnessed the incident and videotaped it to come forward.
“Come forward and give a statement. Whatever was captured on the phone has no use unless we have somebody who comes in and [states] that they were the recorders of that footage,” he said.
Senior Smith has been retained by Campbell’s family to monitor the probe by the police and represent the family’s interest.
Campbell, who was described as a well-respected citizen and dedicated community member of Victoria Town in southern Manchester, died after a crowd of people beat him on lower Manchester Road in what police theorise was a case of mistaken identity.
Relatives are planning to bid farewell to Campbell in a thanksgiving service on June 25.
— Kasey Williams