Port Royal should have power back by today
JAMAICA Public Service (JPS) customers in Port Royal and surrounding areas are likely to have their power restored by today as teams work to repair the damage done by contractors working on behalf of the Airports Authority of Jamaica.
A JPS release said teams have been working since Tuesday on excavating and testing cables in an effort to repair them for continued use, but have now concluded that the one-kilometre stretch of electrical underground cable must be replaced, as it is beyond repair. This will be accompanied by significant civil works, followed by the laying and commissioning of new cables.
The light and power company said an interim overhead system is also out of the question as this would be in the flight path.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.