Sandals Resorts says it has engaged environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across its Emerald Bay property in The Bahamas and has installed carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in all guest rooms to ensure the safety and well-being of its guests and team members.
The resort group was giving an update of its response to the passing of three guests — Tennessee couple Michael and Robbie Phillips, and Florida resident Vincent Chiarella — earlier this month.
A fourth guest, Donnis Chiarella, survived and was airlifted to a Florida hospital.
“We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest,” Sandals said in a statement on Thursday
“We wish to once again extend our deepest sympathies and our heartfelt condolence to the Phillips and Chiarella families,” the group added.
“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air-conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play,” Sandals stated.
The resort chain reiterated that the safety and well-being of guests and team members will always be paramount and said that in addition to the systems review, CO detectors will be installed in all guest rooms throughout the chain, although the measure is “not mandated in any Caribbean destination where we operate”.
“Our entire team is keeping the families in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time,” Sandals added.