MIAMI, United States (CMC) — A tropical storm warning was on Monday evening issued for Trinidad, Tobago, and Grenada and its dependencies as forecasters say a disturbance approaching the Caribbean has the potential to become Tropical Storm Bonnie as early as Wednesday.
The Miami-based National Hurricane Center (NHC) said Monday the system has a 70 per cent chance of formation within 48 hours, and a 90 per cent chance of formation within five days.
“Conditions appear conducive for development, and the disturbance will likely become a tropical storm before reaching the southern Windward Islands,” it said.
The potential tropical cyclone, which was located about 720 miles east of Trinidad around 5:00 pm, had maximum sustained winds of 40 miles per hour with higher gusts.
“Some strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours,” the NHC said.
“The system is moving toward the west-northwest near 18 miles per hour, and this general motion is expected to continue for the next few days. On the forecast track, the system will pass near or over portions of the southern Windward Island by late Tuesday, and move over the southern Caribbean Sea or near the northern coast of Venezuela on Wednesday and Thursday.”
The NHC said the areas under tropical storm warning can expect tropical storm conditions by late Tuesday.
It has also advised interests elsewhere in the Windward Islands, the northern coast of Venezuela, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao to also monitor the progress of the system.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.