DRAX HALL, St Ann — Leaders Mount Pleasant, playing with 10 men from the 54th minute, edged Humble Lion 1-0 at Drax Hall Sports Complex to extend their lead atop the Jamaica Premier League to five points.
Trivante Stewart nodded home in the 90+1 minute from a corner kick for his league-high 10th goal of the season which pushed Mount Pleasant to 27 points from 12 games.
It was a disciplined display from the home team after losing Jamoy Topey to a straight red card in the 54th minute.
Mount Pleasant Head Coach Theodore Whitmore said the victory was far from easy.
"I thought it was a difficult game and the first half was not the sort of performance I expected as we took long to settle," he said.
"In fact, the better part of our game was when we went down to 10 men and the guys showed character and we fought and get the three points which is the most important thing," Whitmore added.
Humble Lion Coach Andrew Price was visibly upset after seeing his team miss a glorious opportunity to secure a win.
"I am very, very disappointed. I think we gave away three points and if ever a game this season we gave away three points, this is the game," said Price.
"We had the opportunity to take full advantage and put the game out of harm's way and we didn't. We didn't make use of those opportunities and then [late in the game] we gave up a corner and we didn't mark a player surrounded by five Humble Lion players. That's inexcusable and I am very disappointed in our defensive unit," said Price.
"I think the team played well but guess what, playing well and not carrying home the three points is not good enough," he reiterated.
Humble Lion, who were suffering their fourth defeat of the season, remain in the third spot on 20 points.
In the first game of the venue's double-header, Dunbeholden FC were held to a 0-0 result by Chapelton FC. It was a result that saw Chapelton climb off the base of the table to 13th spot with three points. Dunbeholden also gained a spot to reach fifth on 19 points.
In another game, Tivoli Gardens whipped Montego Bay United 3-0 with goals from Rodico Wellington (12th, 14th) and Barrington Pryce (88th). They are up to ninth on 16 points, while Montego Bay dropped to 10th with 15 points.
Faulkland 0, Vere 1
Dunbeholden 0, Chapelton 0
Montego Bay 0, Tivoli Gardens 3
Mount Pleasant 1, Humble Lion 0
Waterhouse 1, Portmore 1
5:00 pm — Molynes United vs Cavalier @ Ashenheim Stadium
7:30 pm — Harbour View vs Arnett Gardens @ Ashenheim Stadium
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.