MONTEGO BAY, St James — Herbert Morrison Technical overcame a slow start to beat Cornwall College 22-12 at the latter's home base as the ISSA Western Conference Under-14 boys' basketball competition started on Friday.
Three schools — including Holland High — are taking part in the competition and will play each other three times before the finals are played on June 6 with the top two advancing to the national championship tournament to be held on June 14.
According to the rules, all teams must have a minimum of 10 players to participate in a game and each player on the roster must play a full quarter by the end of the third quarter.
On Friday, Cornwall College led 2-0 at the end of the first quarter and the teams were tied at 5-5 at half-time before Herbert Morrison outscored the home team 13-2 in the third quarter to take an 11 points lead at 18-7 going into the final quarter.
Herbert Morrison's Donier Lynch led all scorers with 14 points and had seven rebounds while four other players all scored two points.
Nathan Hinds scored seven points to lead Cornwall College and also had four steals while Jonathan Smart and Bjorn Cunningham both scored two points each.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.