Kingston College's Isaiah Patrick tallied 6,969 points to win the decathlon at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys' and Girls' Athletics Championships at the National Stadium, beating Jamaica College's Dorian Charles who tallied 6,579 points and Calabar High's Kevin Brooks who got 6,202 — personal best points for all three.
Brooks, who was second last year, will however represent Jamaica at next week's 50th Carifta Games in The Bahamas as Patrick is Grenadian and Charles a Trinidadian.
Five of the 14 competitors have competed in the gruelling event at Champs before — Brooks, Courtney Williams of Happy Grove High, Javeir Morrison of Dinthill Technical, and Malique Graham of Wolmer's Boys' competed last year while Zico Bennett of Hydel High missed last year after competing in 2021.
The athletes competed in the 100m, long jump, shot put, high jump and 400m on Wednesday and will contest the 110m hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin throw and 1500m Thursday.
Patrick, who led after the first five events on Wednesday with 3,777 points, had six new personal bests over the two days; Charles had nine new bests and Brooks had seven.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.