SANTA CRUZ, St Elizabeth — Four records were broken and three tied at Saturday's 38th staging of the Grace/STETHS Invitational track and field meet held at the St Elizabeth Technical Sports Complex on Saturday.
The meet, last staged in 2020 on account of the COVID-19 pandemic, serves as a qualifier for the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) championships scheduled for late March.
Hydel High's Oneika McAnuff, who won two events, broke the Class 1 Girls' 400m record. Her teammate Natassia Burrell broke the Class 2 shot put mark; Edwin Allen High's Sheniela Williams set a new javelin record, while the Edwin Allen High Girls lowered their own mark in the 4x800m relays.
McAnuff, who also won the Class 1 100m, ran 54.35 seconds to erase the 55.15 set in 2019 by Charokee Young, another Hydel High student.
Burrell threw 15.99m to set the new mark in the Class 2 Girls' shot put, farther than the previous 14.88m set in 2016 by Fiona Richards of Edwin Allen High.
Williams' 38.10m throw in the javelin Open beat the 34.83m set by Judeen Aird of Petersfield High in 2019.
The Edwin Allen 4x800m team ran 9:01.65 minutes to lower the 9:12.91 set in 2020 by another Edwin Allen team.
Three girls' high jump records were tied. Vere Technical's Torian Caven cleared 1.75m to win the Class 1 event and equalled the mark set by former Herbert Morrison Technical athlete Daniella Anglin in 2020.
Edwin Allen's Deijanae Bruce also cleared 1.75m to win the Class 2 event, equalling the record set by Shania Ingram in 2016, while her teammate Abrianna Clarke cleared 1.50m in Class 4, joining four others who previously cleared the height.
Jumpers from St Elizabeth Technical High School swept the boys' long jump titles. Allem Pinto took Class 1 with 6.95, ahead of Cornwall College's Lansford Cunningham (6.59m), and Edwin Allen's Peter Daniel (6.51m).
Ricoy Hunter won Class 2 with 6.30m, ahead of his teammate Sawayne Kerr (6.06m) and Herbert Morrison's Santino Distin (6.02m). Rodeeki Walters won Class 3 with 5.86m, beating his teammate Eric Daley (5.12m) and Manchester High's Zackery Nisbett (5.09m).
ISSA Boys' Champs Class 2 winner Yoshane Bown of Maggotty High took the Class 2 boys' 15,00m in 4:28.50 minutes; William Knibb Memorial's Nathaniel Wallace won Class 1 in 4:22.96; and Maggotty's Jayden Brown won Class 3 in 4:45.17.
— Paul A Reid
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.