Messi 'deserved' to win global title, says Pele
DOHA, Qatar (AFP) — Brazilian legend Pele said Lionel Messi "deserved" to be a World Cup winner after Argentina defeated France in a penalty shoot-out in Sunday's final.
"Today football continues to tell its story, as always, in an enthralling way. Messi winning his first World Cup, as his trajectory deserved," Pele, a three-time World Cup champion, wrote on Instagram.
Pele also hailed French striker Kylian Mbappe who scored a hat-trick in the final that had ended 3-3 after extra time, before coolly slotting in a penalty in the shoot-out.
"My dear friend, Mbappe, scoring four goals in a final. What a gift it was to watch this spectacle to the future of our sport."
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.