Entertainment

Pay cut for Leno

Monday, August 20, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!


SAN FRANCISCO, USA (AP) — The Tonight Show has laid off about two dozen workers, prompting host Jay Leno to accept a pay cut to spare other staffers as NBC clamps down on expenses.

NBC Universal imposed the cutbacks Friday, according to a person familiar with the moves. The person asked not to be identified because NBC Universal hadn’t officially disclosed the cost cutting.

The payroll purge affected about 10 per cent of the roughly 200 people who work on The Tonight Show, still the top-rated late-night programme. Viewers shouldn’t notice any changes in programming at The Tonight Show,the person said.

NBC Universal is trying to improve its financial performance under the ownership of Comcast Corp., which bought the entertainment company last year.

Leno had been making between US$25 million to US$30 million annually as the host of The Tonight Show. His salary will be reduced to about US$20 million after making the job-saving concessions. Leno also brings in substantial income touring as a stand-up comedian.

“Jay’s foremost concern is for the wonderful people who work with him at The Tonight Show, said Bruce Bobbins, a spokesman for Leno. “He did what was necessary to ensure their well-being.”

Several other staffers on The Tonight Show also absorbed pay cuts.

David Letterman, the host of a rival late-night show on CBS, accepted a significant pay cut in 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Should the next Police Commissioner be recruited from overseas?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT